Decadently rich, chewy & fudgy brownies with pockets of gooey tahini caramel & a nutty caramelised swirl of tahini caramel on top.
I use tahini or as I call it tahina, quite a bit in my cooking, but mainly in a savoury context especially in sauces, and so for a while I have wanted to try it out within sweet dishes. This new found fascination arose after a recent trip to Istanbul where I discovered the most delicious breakfast concoction of pekmez (grape molasses) mixed with tahini.
The sweet and sour tartness against the nutty earthy flavour of the tahini is simply divine. After having brought several jars of pekmez back home, I have wanted to replicate the pekmez / tahini flavours within a dessert. I am still in the experimental stages of creating the perfect dessert (as soon as the recipe is finalised, I will be posting it). On the path to creating this perfect pekmez / tahini dessert I accidently made the most delicious tahini caramel ever. My son and I literally sat with the pan in which I made the caramel with a spoon each licking away at this yummy creation. It wasn’t as sweet as normal caramel, but as my husband described it, it was like peanut butter that had gone to another level!
I soon forgot about my pekmez / tahini creation and needed to somehow incorporate this fudgy, earthy sweet caramel into something, and what better than some delicious chewy fudgy chocolate brownies. Within these brownies, in the centre there are little dollops of the gooey tahini caramel and as I needed more caramel in this brownie, I finished it off with swirls on the top, of tahini caramel marbled with the dark rich chocolate brownie batter.
When baked the tahini caramel on top becomes caramelised and solidifies and the nuttiness is enhanced whilst those little dollops on the inside remain gooey and fudgy and are little bursts of extra deliciousness within an already delicious brownie. Now I couldn’t just leave it that! This recipe makes enough caramel so that you have a little left over to pour on top of your brownie should you wish it and trust me you will!
TAHINI BROWNIES WITH TAHINI CARAMEL
Decadently rich, chewy & fudgy brownie with pockets of gooey tahini caramel & a nutty caramelised swirl of tahini caramel on top.
- Tahini Caramel
- 1/3 cup (75g) tahini
- 1/3 cup (65g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (120ml) double cream
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup (75g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup (80ml) oil
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs + 1 large yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 cup (125g) cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup (40g) plain flour
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- ¼ tsp salt
- Step 1 Preheat oven at 160°C (325°F). Lightly grease an 8 x 8 tin with oil.
- Step 2 In a pan add all the caramel ingredients and stir over a medium low heat until all the sugar granules have dissolved and the caramel has thickened, approximately 5 minutes. Leave aside.
- Step 3 In a large bowl mix in the melted butter and oil.
- Step 4 Stir in the sugar.
- Step 5 Add one egg at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- Step 6 Mix in the vanilla, ensure all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Step 7 Add the cocoa, flour, cornflour and salt. Mix well until everything if fully combined.
- Step 8 Spread half of the brownie batter in the prepared tin. Using a spoon dollop spoonful’s of caramel all over the batter. Do not mix into batter.
- Step 9 Spread the remaining batter on top. Dollop more spoonful’s of caramel on top and using a bitter knife swirl into the brownie batter.
- Step 10 Bake for 25 – 30 mins. Toothpick inserted will still be slightly wet but with crumbs. Do not exceed over 30 minutes as otherwise brownies will not be fudgy.
- Step 11 Leave to cool completely and then slice into 9 pieces.
- Step 12 Heat up the remaining caramel and serve with the brownie.
- Step 13 Enjoy x