Beautifully fluffy & soft, sweet potato donut holes dusted in snowy icing sugar. After the first bite you will see the stunning vibrant orange & really will not be able to stop eating these gorgeous donuts!
I have always had a thing for desserts with sweet potato, as odd as it may sound. As a little girl, whilst living in Saudi Arabia, I remember eating a sweet potato cake with nigella seeds, and I can still remember just how delicious it was. Sadly, I never got the recipe or name of the cake and to this day I am trying to recreate it or hunt the recipe down, but as yet have been unsuccessful. If any of you out there know what I am taking about, please please let me know!!
My second love affair with sweet potato desserts came after a holiday in Malaysia where I tried some street food of sweet potato fritters. They were just so moreish and unbelievably delicious. So of course, as soon as I came back home I started my experiments in the kitchen and came up with these beauties! These are less oily, lighter and sweeter then what I had in Malaysia, and are just sublime. You really will not believe that they are made from sweet potato. The texture is just unbelievable, so fluffy and light. The key to making this is getting the right oil temperature for frying, as to get the fluffy inside you need to ensure that it cooks fully through or otherwise the donut will be dense and mushy.
I always fry test a few to get the exact oil temperature and cooking time, and once you have that perfected you will be rolling out beautifully soft orange donuts one after another ready to be dusted white and after the first bite you will understand my love for sweet potato desserts!
Sweet Potato Donut Holes
Beautifully fluffy soft sweet potato donut holes dusted in snowy icing sugar. After the first bite into the vibrant orange donut you really will not be able to stop!
- 2 cups (380g) cooked sweet potato, mashed
- 1 1/3 cups (160g) plain flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- Oil for frying & lightly greasing hands
- 1 ½ cups (190g) icing sugar
- Step 1 In a deep pan heat enough oil on medium to fully cover the donuts.
- Step 2 In a large bowl add the sweet potato, making sure that it is mashed to a smooth consistency with no lumps.
- Step 3 Add the flour, salt, baking powder, vanilla and caster sugar. Thoroughly mix until fully combined but be careful not to over mix or you will end up with dense donuts.
- Step 4 Lightly grease your hands, a plate and tablespoon with oil. Measure out 1 tablespoon of the dough and quickly roll into a ball in your greased hands and place on greased plate. Repeat until all the dough has been used, re-greasing hands and tablespoon after every few donuts.
- Step 5 Fry the donuts in batches on medium low for approximately 6-8 minutes, until golden brown and crisp on the outside and fully cooked through and fluffy on the inside. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Step 6 Whilst still hot plonk into a bowl filled with the icing sugar and roll around until fully dusted with icing sugar.
- Step 7 Enjoy x