Sweet and tangy moist lemon cake that is packed with SO much zingy lemon flavour. Infused with beautifully fragrant lemon zest, drizzled with a citrusy lemon syrup whilst warm and covered in a delicate tart lemon glaze. Extremely yummy and so quick and easy to make.
We are a family who love lemons. You will always find a bowl of beautifully fresh sunny lemons in my kitchen. Even my two toddlers are hard core lemon enthusiasts, and whenever they manage to get hold of a lemon you will find them sucking and licking the juice whilst making the craziest faces and saying “yummy melon”!
This recipe is truly for lemon lovers! This cake is a firm family favourite and my go to recipe for when I need to make something sweet quickly. It is unbelievably soft and moist, almost creamy like, with the perfect balance of tart and sweet. The lemon drizzle that is poured over the cake whilst its still warm gets absorbed through the cake and further enhances the tangy lemony flavour and the light lemon glaze takes this cake to lemony perfection.
This lemon cake is so simple to put together and takes only a few minutes and is perfect for a quick morning treat or to serve up when you have guests over for tea. So, when life gives you lemons, make my lemon drizzle cake! You will not be disappointed.
LEMON DRIZZLE CAKE
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- ¾ cup (190g) Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 ½ cups (190g) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 medium lemons, zest grated
- ¾ cup (180ml) oil
- Drizzle Syrup:
- ¼ cup (60ml) lemon juice
- ½ cup (115g) icing sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1 cup (230g) icing sugar
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F). Line an 8 inch cake tin with baking paper.
- Step 2 Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat the eggs and sugar until slightly thickened and pale yellow in colour.
- Step 3 Beat in the yogurt and vanilla. Mix till fully combined.
- Step 4 Add in the flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest and mix well.
- Step 5 Pour in the oil and beat till just combined.
- Step 6 Pour batter into prepared cake tin and bake for 25 – 35 minutes, until cake is golden on top and springy to touch and toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Step 7 Leave cake to cool in the tin for approximately 10 mins, then using a butter knife loosen cake from the edges of the tin.
- Step 8 Make Drizzle: Combine the 2 ingredients and mix well. Pour over the warm cake that is cooling in the tin.
- Step 9 Make Glaze: Combine the 2 ingredients until smooth.
- Step 10 Once cake has completely cooled remove from the tin. Pour the glaze on the top. Glaze will spread out falling down the sides beautifully. You can help guide the glaze down with a teaspoon. Glaze will set after a few minutes.
- Step 11 Enjoy x