Crispy chinese battered chicken & crunchy water chestnuts coated in a sticky sweet, spicy and salty sauce. Absolutely delicious with some steamed rice.
One of my guilty pleasures in life has to be Chinese food, and by that, I mean the fried kind. There really is something moreish about crispy battered chicken that is covered in a sticky sauce, and in Chinese food this sauce is what makes or breaks the dish.
This honey chilli sauce ticks all the boxes – it is a little bit sweet, a little bit salty and a little bit spicy. This dish is completed with slices of crunchy water chestnuts and garnished with sliced spring onion and red chillies. Really is pure pleasure in a bowl. Perfect served with steamed rice and some Chinese greens like my ginger pak choy. This home made Chinese indulgence is so much better than the take away and a definite must try!
HONEY CHILLI CHICKEN
Crispy Chinese battered chicken & crunchy water chestnuts coated in a sticky sweet, spicy and salty sauce. Absolutely delicious with some steamed rice.
- 500g boneless and skinless chicken breast
- Sunflower oil for frying
- 1 cup (120g) plain flour
- 1 cup (125g) corn flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ¼ cup (300ml) water
- 1/3 cup (110g) honey
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (115g) tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2-3 tsp chilli oil (I use Lee Kum Kee)
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 – 5 small dried red chillies (adjust according to your preferred levels of spiciness)
- 1 tin (140g) sliced water chestnuts in water, drained
- Step 1 Mix all the sauce ingredients except for the dried red chilli pods and water chestnuts. Set aside.
- Step 2 Whisk all the batter ingredients together except for the water.
- Step 3 Slowly add water to the dry batter ingredients to form a smooth semi thick batter.
- Step 4 Cut chicken breasts into bite size strips.
- Step 5 Drop the chicken strips into the batter, mix well until they are well coated.
- Step 6 In a pan add approximately 2 inches of oil and heat on medium to high.
- Step 7 When the oil is fully heated, gently drop the battered chicken strips into the pan, one by one, making sure that they do not stick and are spread out. Work in batches. Fry till the chicken is golden and crispy. Drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Step 8 In a wok dry fry the chilli pods for a few minutes until aromatic.
- Step 9 Add in the Honey Chilli Sauce and bring to a light simmer or until sauce thickens and is glossy.
- Step 10 Add the sliced water chestnuts.
- Step 11 Add in the fried chicken, stir fry a few times to fully combine the sauce and chicken.
- Step 12 Serve immediately with steamed white rice.
- Step 13 Enjoy x