This beautifully aromatic overnight oats is the perfect delicious start to your day! Creamy oats packed with warm cardamom and sweet banana jam with bursts of crunchy almonds and earthy pistachios. Pure breakfast heaven!
Rise and shine, it’s breakfast time and breakfast today is banana and cardamom overnight oats! How amazing are overnight oats?! I love waking up knowing that my breakfast is all ready and waiting for me and all I need to do is make my morning cup of coffee. The beauty of overnight oats other then it being so easy and quick, as well as being the perfect healthy grab and go breakfast is the possible combination of flavours.
The possibilities are endless, you can keep it simple with just some fruit or play around with more unusual flavours, like cardamom. Nuts and banana are known to complement one another so where does cardamom come into all this? As a child one of my fondest breakfast memories is of a banana jam an Aunty of mine used to make when we would visit her. The banana jam was basically just ripe bananas mushed and cooked in butter and cardamom powder, and this humble fruit would be taken to a majestic level. Spread on toast this was the most delicious mouth-watering experience.
I of course had to try the banana jam with different things and with overnight oats the result was just heavenly. Greatest of all the banana jam does not oxidise and brown like banana slices, so this really is the perfect breakfast when you are in a hurry as you don’t even need to add the fruits, its all packed in a cute little jar ready for you to eat. Almond milk, oats and chia seeds are mixed with ground cardamom and maple syrup and then layered with banana jam and crowned with nutty almonds and pistachios. Pure deliciousness in a jar!
CARDAMOM & BANANA JAM OVERNIGHT OATS
- Banana Jam:
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 tbsp butter (or coconut oil)
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- 1 cup (100g) rolled oats
- 2tsp chia seeds
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp vanilla paste
- 1 cup (250ml) almond milk
- 12 – 20 whole almonds
- 1 tbsp crushed pistachios
- Step 1 Make banana jam: In a bowl add the banana, butter (or oil) and cardamom powder. Heat up in the microwave on high for approximately 30 seconds to 1 minute (depends on your microwave) until banana is hot and butter has fully melted. (You can also do this over the pan, but I like the microwave as it is so quick).
- Step 2 Mash the banana and mix with the butter (or oil) and cardamom powder until you have a smooth jammy consistency. Banana should be very soft after heating.
- Step 3 Make oats: Mix all the ingredients together and stir until fully combined.
- Step 4 Assembly: Divide the oat mixture and the banana jam between 2 jars, layering as desired.
- Step 5 Top each jar with 6 – 10 almonds and ½ tbsp of pistachios.
- Step 6 Seal each jar with a lid and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or best overnight.
- Step 7 Before eating allow the overnight oats to sit out of the fridge for at least 5 minutes so that the chill is removed or heat for 30 seconds to 1 minute in the microwave.
- Step 8 Enjoy x