These muffins are beautifully soft and moist, bursting with dark and milk chocolate chips and have a subtle nutty earthy note from the oats which goes perfectly with the sweet banana.
I am sure all the mums and dads out there will agree with me, as a mum to two little kiddies it seems like one of the main things I am always doing is trying to make sure that my kids are eating well. A good day for me is when my kids have happily eaten their food, without any tantrums of “no like” or me having to blackmail or threaten to take away a toy or ipad time.
As my son has gotten older he has gotten a lot better with food, and even loves eating broccoli and cauliflower! He actually reminds me to buy them when we are at the supermarket! However, my daughter is going through a really bad phase of refusing to eat and all she wants to have is cereal. I have tried making food fun, cutting it out into shapes, getting her to cook with me, which helps a little, but she is going through a very very very picky phase.
Luckily one of the things she still happily eats are these muffins, which makes me so happy as its full of banana goodness, as well as oats so at least I know she is getting some of the nutrients that she needs. These muffins are moist and in between the delicious hints of oaty banana you get bursts of bitter dark chocolate as well as sweet milk chocolate. It is also a nice easy recipe that is perfect to make with the kids, and they freeze beautifully so you can always have some on hand for a quick snack or breakfast.
BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP OAT MUFFINS
These muffins are beautifully soft & moist, bursting with dark & milk chocolate chips & have a subtle nutty earthy note from the oats which goes perfectly with the sweet banana.
- 1 ½ cups (190g) plain flour
- 1 cup (90g) rolled oats
- ½ cup (100g) light brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup (60g) unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup (60ml) buttermilk
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed (approximately 1 ½ cups)
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- ½ cup (75g) chocolate chips (I use half milk chocolate chips and half dark)
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F). Line a muffin tin with paper cases.
- Step 2 Combine the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Step 3 In a smaller bowl thoroughly mix the eggs, butter, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Step 4 Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and mic until fully combined.
- Step 5 Stir in the mashed bananas.
- Step 6 Add the chocolate chips and ensure they are distributed evenly.
- Step 7 Divide mixture equally into the paper cases.
- Step 8 Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until golden brown and knife inserted comes out clean.
- Step 9 Enjoy x